How to apply for a place in Year 7
If you have a child starting in Year 6 in September 2017, we hope you will consider Eastern High as their secondary school.
All applications for places can be made on the Council’s quick and easy online application service at www.cardiff.gov.uk.
However if you prefer you can complete a paper application form that is available from a Council Hub. Nearest locations are:
- Llanrumney – Countisbury Avenue
- Rumney – Llanstephan Road
- St Mellons – 30 Crickhowel Road
Click to view our School Prospectus Online
or download a copy below
This form can be sent to the council or to us. The closing date for submitting September 2017 applications is: 28th November 2016
The school will admit up to 240 students moving from primary into Year 7 of secondary school. All applications for 220 places will be considered. Where fewer than 220 applications are received, places will be offered to all those who have applied.
Timetable for admissions
September 2016 – The school will publish its information on admission arrangements for September 2017 (including oversubscription criteria), details of open evenings and other opportunities for prospective pupils and parents to visit the school.
From October 2016 – The school will provide students and parents/carers with the opportunity to visit the school. Please phone to arrange a visit.
November 2016 – The application form must be completed and returned to the local authority by midnight (24:00 hours) on 28th November 2016
1 March 2017 – Local authority will send offer letters or emails if you apply online to parents/carers.
When the number of admission applications is greater than the available places, applications will be considered against the criteria set out here. After the admission of students with Statements of Special Needs who have named Eastern High on their statement, Academy places will then be offered to these groups in the order set out here:
- Children in Care.
- Children living in the school’s First Geographical Area.
- Children living outside the school’s First Geographical Area.
When applying the criteria, priority within each criterion will be given, in order, to:
- a) children with a brother or sister who will be attending the school and who joined the school before September 2016.
- b) children with a brother or sister who will be attending the school
- c) for children living within the school’s ‘First Geographical Area’ only: children with a brother or sister within the same intake year group (for example twins, triplets) applying for the school. Within a) to Within a) to c) priority will be given to those living closest to the school
- d) children living closest to the school.
Details of the school’s First Geographical Area can be obtained from Cardiff Council.
Where parents/carers want to remain on a waiting list for the school, the list will remain open until the last day of term 2 in 2017.
Right to appeal
If more applications are received than there are places, the oversubscription criteria apply. Parents whose applications are turned down have the right to appeal.
A copy of the full school admissions policy can be downloaded from its website www.easternhigh.cardiff.sch.uk or obtained by calling the school on 029 2079 2751