How to apply for a place in Year 7
If you have a child starting in Year 6 in September 2018, we hope you will consider Eastern High as their secondary school.
A guide to applying for a school place is available attached below and has been provided by Cardiff Council around the admissions process.
However if you prefer you can complete a paper application form that is available from a Council Hub. Nearest locations are:
- Llanrumney – Countisbury Avenue
- Rumney – Llanstephan Road
- St Mellons – 30 Crickhowel Road
Click to view our School Prospectus Online
or download a copy below
This form can be sent to the council or to us. The closing date for submitting September 2018 applications is: 4th December 2017
The school will admit up to 240 students moving from primary into Year 7 of secondary school. All applications for 240 places will be considered. Where fewer than 240 applications are received, places will be offered to all those who have applied.
Timetable for admissions
September 2017 – The school will publish its information on admission arrangements for September 2018 (including oversubscription criteria), details of open evenings and other opportunities for prospective pupils and parents to visit the school.
From October 2017 – The school will provide students and parents/carers with the opportunity to visit the school. Please phone to arrange a visit.
October/November 2017 – The application form must be completed and returned to the local authority by midnight (24:00 hours) on 4 December 2018
1 March 2018 – Local authority will send offer letters or emails if you apply online to parents/carers.
When the number of admission applications is greater than the available places, applications will be considered against the criteria set out here. After the admission of students with Statements of Special Needs who have named Eastern High on their statement, Academy places will then be offered to these groups in the order set out here:
- Children in Care.
- Children with a statement of special educational needs.
- Children living in the school’s First Geographical Area.
- Children with compelling medical or social grounds.
- Children living outside the school’s First Geographical Area.
When applying the criteria, priority within each criterion will be given, in order, to:
- a) children with a brother or sister who will be attending the school and who joined the school before September 2018.
- b) children with a brother or sister who will be attending the school
- c) for children living within the school’s ‘First Geographical Area’ only: children with a brother or sister within the same intake year group (for example twins, triplets) applying for the school. Within a) to Within a) to c) priority will be given to those living closest to the school
- d) children living closest to the school.
Details of the school’s First Geographical Area can be obtained from Cardiff Council.
Where parents/carers want to remain on a waiting list for the school, the list will remain open until 21 December 2018.
Right to appeal
If more applications are received than there are places, the oversubscription criteria apply. Parents whose applications are turned down have the right to appeal.
A copy of the full school admissions policy can be downloaded from its website www.easternhigh.cardiff.sch.uk or obtained by calling the school on 029 2079 2751